Monday 3 June 2013

Be still

I'm fascinated, this morning, by the fact Acts 5, begins with the story of Ananias and Sapphira and ends with 'if this program or this work is merely human, it will fall apart, but if it is of God, there is nothing you can do about it - and you had better not be found fighting against God' (vv38-39).
So were Ananias and Sapphira fighting against God? Absolutely! Not outwardly, but inwardly, in the recesses of their hearts, where our fights with God take place: whether, or not, they are ever outwardly expressed, or acknowledged to another human being.
It's also got me thinking about my week ahead.
I have a Trustees meeting, for our Baptist Association of Churches. We say we are moving 'towards a missional association', but God needs to sift our hearts, lest we hinder His plans.
I shall have engagement with our national expressions of Baptist life - these are real people, but tend to be lopped into an impersonal 'BUGB'. We need to take care, the pathways we are walking, are in God's direction, in accordance with His plans. 
I have meetings with local Churches, mainly leadership teams. Vested interests abound and we need to allow the searchlight of God's Spirit to shine: both upon our hearts and through our attitudes, words and actions.
Most of all, however, I need to be still and know He is God. If my 'program', or 'work', whatever my best efforts, is merely human, then it will fall apart. If I can glean enough wisdom to work out, which is simply me and which is God's business, I can save myself alot of stress and the spending of worthless energy. 

No comments: