Thursday, 3 February 2011
Nailsea Baptist Church - The Centre
2. This building has been thought and prayed about - before it was converted. NBC have not made the mistake (many do) of we must have our own building and then ask what shall we use it for? It's primary use will be to bless those, as yet, beyond the kingdom.
3. This building represents the re-planting of the gospel and kingdom of God in Nailsea. Once upon a time this building was a church building, then it was a community centre, then more recently it was used by the Town Council. The church of Jesus has re-claimed this one, which is a delightful change! NBC is not that old - about 25 years I think.
4. This building is not the focus of attention. It would be easy for people t focus on the building... I love the coffee shop - you can't see the brown settees this end, but they wouldn't be out of place at Costa's. Coffee will be served initially free and donations invited. It's not here to make money, but to serve, provide a place to chat, help build community, etc.
5. This building represents vision, but it is not the vision. OK it didn't just happen. Gary, the present pastoral leader, is a visionary and brilliant in building and releasing others. This building is one of the most strategically conceived we have in WEBA. Other capable leaders, however, came before him. There were plans for other buildings, which failed and were hugely disappointing. Many frustrations were along the path towards opening. It's good this building is not the focus of the vision, but people because otherwise, it's job done.
6. This building has been really well done. It really is a great piece of work, by many.