Monday 11 July 2011

Yesterday's news of the world.

Today I'm wondering if we shall be looking back upon tomorrow as a tipping point for ethical change? The demise of the News of the World has come about, it seems to me, for the reason the media understand better than anyone - public opinion has turned against them.
Whilst there may well be a cynical view of the strategy behind this decision, it remains true, the general population are expressing their concern about ethics in a way few were prepared to predict a few years ago. I recall Patrick Dixon was one - when he promoted "ethical" as his "E" of his vision for the 'F.U.T.U.R.E.' , but few believed this was likely. However, following on from the MP's expense crisis, for similar reasons, I think he was right after all. In Christendom we could assume upon both the vision and values of the church (well we did, however il-advised that may have been!), but in post-Christendom we certainly cannot. However, what this demonstrates, to me, is any church, which does not pay enough attention to their values will not engage today's generation. Whilst we need to lower the bar regarding 'church' we need to heighten the bar in terms of discipleship. Many instinctively react against this suggestion, but my experience and observation teaches me this is the case and we ignore it at our peril.

No comments: