Friday 18 July 2014

a team game won by the best team

Well, the World Cup is behind us for another four years. When I was in local leadership our caretaker often used to ask if I ever preached a sermon without a football reference, so i always appreciate a fresh supply of material!




Many people said it, but a team game was won by the best team - Germany. They didn't have a Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi or a Neymar, but they were a better team. That's a difficult admission for an English football fan!

When I observe local church leadership teams, which I feel as if I spend my doing, I would say the same is true - if we could measure effectiveness, outcomes and fruitfulness more adequately, I think i could prove it.

Some Ministers are great up-front leaders, but negate too high a percentage of the impact of their apparent leadership by not providing helpful frameworks for people to follow the word of God though daily living. 

Some Ministers are great preachers, but many of their words dissipate through insecurity and the heat of difference of opinion.

Some Ministers are caring pastors, but shepherd people into a cocoon of comfort, which disappears through disappointment and unrealistic expectations. 

All Ministers are human beings who can multiply their impact and fruitfulness by investing in the core team who are called to walk in faith with them. They might not win any cups, but church becomes the great place we all know it can be when it reflects the whole body of Christ.

PS I had to laugh after trying to defend Luis Suarez pre our staff meeting the day after the bite before, when I read totally by accident from Galatians 5 when reaching verse 15 ...If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other!

No comments: