Sunday 6 July 2008

well done Laura


It’s my Sunday off from preaching anywhere today, which is always a lovely feeling. Don’t get me wrong, I love preaching and still believe it has a highly significant place among Baptists. However, not preaching means I don’t have to get up as early, can enjoy a leisurely breakfast and usually watch that little programme ‘click’ on breakfast TV. Today I went to meet a little evangelical Church who’re wondering where they’re going. I must admit the woman leading caught me off guard when announcing ‘we have a special guest today … anyone’s welcome to meet Nigel with us afterwards as we talk about the future’ – at least I had a little time to think about what I might say!

I realise one thing such Churches are looking for is a relationship with something bigger than themselves, but in a way they’re treated individually. How unlike the Alliance and Leicester conflict I’ve been embroiled in this week; (this next bit will be therapy for me and, hopefully, get something off my chest). We had an account which was at zero with a view to closing. Then , we get charged £5 for not making sufficient monthly payments. We try to close the account, but A&L don’t seem to receive our instructions. Needless to say, several phone conversations with machines and dis-empowered employees later, we’re now significantly more overdrawn (all charges due to the initial charge) – the saga continues of little man versus massive system.

I enjoyed the Williams sisters yesterday at Wimbledon, in-between re-sealing the shower. However, what a performance by Laura Robson to win the girls final - for GB. I'm now settling down now for Nadal v Federer after the Grand Prix.  Hopefully, I’ll manage to get some preparation done for this month’s Settlement Team during the change-overs!! (it is a day off though). Maybe it’ll be Spain two weeks running after Torres’ great winning goal v Germany (a victory for heart over head). Today my head says Nadal, but I’d love Federer to win again – we’ll see.

No comments: