Tuesday 12 January 2010

social movements


I’ve just joined the All at Once Community. I was invited because I link to Jack Johnson’s (the singer-songwriter) website www.jackjohnsonmusic.com

Basically what they say is “the concept is simple: An individual action, multiplied by millions, creates global change.”

I’ve also registered with www.brightwide.com which is the website launched by Colin Firth just recently.

Brightwide is “a platform where you can watch the best social and political cinema. We screen films that make you want to change the world – and show you how.”

Two celebrities, two social consciences, two movements, because they essentially connect individuals looking to make a difference with needs. It’s so simple and Jesus-like in its approach I sit here wondering why within the Church we seem to struggle to work along similar lines.

I was talking to one of our pastors at the weekend (the church I was due to be preaching at cancelled due to snow). He told me how they’d phoned a load of elderly people during the week before to check they were OK due to the weather (I can’t say ‘adverse weather’ cos I like it). Apparently most people were pleased to be asked and were doing fine and typically said their neighbours were good and had checked they were OK. One lady, however, burst into tears saying “I was just beginning to wonder if it was worth belonging to a Church.” We had an interesting discussion about the particulars, but the question ‘how much to you do for others and how much do you equip others’ was the consistent theme.

No comments: