Wednesday 21 April 2010

missional map-making?

Missional Map-Making: Skills for Leading in Times of Transition (Jossey-Bass Leadership Network Series)
Well, the planes are now flying again. I was interested the the figure - over 95,000 flights cancelled across Europe, which is a telling reminder of how things have changed in such a short space of time. What's also fascinated me has been the varied responses to being stuck abroad - huge sums of money to get back home. I realise people's situations vary enormously, so wont get carried away, but some good stories none the less. When I hear of families spending thousands of euros (more than it would cost to stay a few more days) to get back, I must admit my response is 'why bother - you're on holiday, everyone will understand you can't be back for work?' Is it me who has the problem? Does this have anything to do with missional map-making?
I'm being struck again from various quarters this week - the task is enormous and yet the resources seem to be so few. I'm talking about a Regional Association of Baptist Churches, but the same thought could be in the mind of many Churches and Christian organisations. The temptation, of course, is to keep trying to do more and more and images of the many hamsters buried in our garden come to mind as they peddled their way, round and round, to death. The balance between reflection and action is one, which constantly eludes me - like a bar of soap, as soon as I think 'yep, got it, it's gone'.
Finished reading 'Missional Map-making' by Alan Roxburgh - a great book. oops should you say that when you've just finished reading it? Seriously, I think next week I'll still think it's the best thing he's written. Not necessarily much new if you've read his other writings, but then what's new? For me, it represents a development in the clarity of his thinking and some clearer suggestions in terms of ways forward. Of course, the fact I agree with him (or him with me?) makes me biased. Plenty here for the faint hearted to disagree with, but ministry today is no place for the faint hearted.
I watched the map programme on BBC 4 on Sunday evening in the light of my reading - great metaphor by the way - that I found disappointing and Maggie 'why are we watching this?' clearly felt the same way!
The other interesting thing about this book for me is when I read it. Frankly, I didn't have time, but I did have Jury service for two weeks and a train journey - I;m sure Alan Roxburgh would approve of my learning whilst on the journey!

No comments: