Sunday 31 October 2010

the wonderful lake District.



Just back from a week off in the Lakes. Plenty of rain - no day without some, but a fantastic week. I have to say, having been walking last year in the Annapurna foothills, I think the English Lake District tops it in many ways.
My motto this week was 'walk, don't run' - not simply because I left my trainers at home, intending to spend each day walking. We managed to walk on all but one day, despite the rain, and it was magnificant.
Walk don't run - I took my laptop for DVD's, but resisted e-mail, which was helped by not signal I guess.
Walk don't run - I can think when I run, believe it or not. I must admit, I was surprised, but the problem with it is, where does it go? At least walking encourages a slower pace all round - a leisurely tea room afterwards, etc, etc.
Walk don't run - how can we do, therefore. what Jesus did? Walk everywhere! 
I'm not entirely stupid and am not suggesting we all go our and by sandals, but if walking provided the environment to think, pray and talk to fellow travellers, where are the practices which ensure ample time for thoughts to ferment?
We returned home to find out we've reached the top of the allotment waiting list, so maybe there's ana snwer to prayer here.

No comments: