Monday 17 November 2008

how do you do it?




I spent Saturday with the deacons from one of our Churches - looking at the vision and strategy for growth they’ve constructed. It was a greatly enjoyable occasion for me – I love sitting down and talking about such things. I did have to remind them also that it is much easier to do that (sit down and talk about it) than actually do something about it. The question, which has stayed with me, however, is the one I was asked about what I do – we were talking about discipleship at the time. I’m not sure what they thought about my answer, but it brought home to me, once again, what we need – leaders who can talk from their own experience and not from a theoretical framework. When I look back over my own Christian experience it is those who have demonstrated and not merely talked who are my heroes. What was that awful song ‘it’s not what you do, it’s the way that you do it’?

No comments: