Wednesday 3 December 2014

Advent 3 How many skeletons in your cupboard?



This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham …. Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab. (Matthew 1: 1,5).

My mum’s done some work on our family tree. She probably hoped for the odd vein of royalty, but all she uncovered were a few skeletons. Records don’t do denial the same as relatives. So, I’m not surprised Matthew starts with the highlights … ‘David’, ‘Abraham’, oh and remember he is ‘Messiah’.

So why go and spoil it? Why even mention Rahab? Just stick with the father’s line. Forget one my great aunts was a lying prostitute. Imagine the pre-Christmas drinks party:

“Can I introduce you, this is my auntie pride, insolence & 'savagery”!

“And what do you do for a living”? !?!

Thank you Matthew: the extortionist-turned-pastor has just reminded me my family is one of grace and mercy.

No comments: