Monday 8 December 2014

Who am I listening to?




This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: his mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. Matthew 1: 18-19.


I remember last year Malcolm asking me: ‘why didn't God tell Joseph sooner it would have saved a lot of aggro’?
Maybe God did, but he chose not to hear. We must take care we don’t misread the Bible because God speaks, even here, frequently through people, rather than in extra-ordinary ways.
Maybe God did tell Joseph, but he chose not to hear – precisely because God spoke to him through Mary?
It was said of the USA, in the run up to 9/11 they ‘were unable to hear anything, which didn't agree with what they thought they already knew’.
What is it I think I know? What is it I need to hear? What is it I’m not listening to?


No comments: