Friday 12 December 2014

The truth, the whole truth, or nothing of the truth?

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 
Luke 2: 4-5

Mary was pregnant; Joseph knew it. No one would believe the truth; he didn’t himself. Did he start to do the right thing, before God, before he accepted the truth, or not?

Peter Morgan, scriptwriter for The Lost Honour of Christopher Jeffries, says his motivation was born out of the horror of his own, initial, interpretation of the news: “I had him locked up for good in my own head from the minute I saw him.”

I remember watching the news myself. It was local, everyone wanted resolution … probably more than the truth?

Look again this advent. Have you missed the truth because of the way you’ve been told the story? Dare to ask: where am I in it.

No comments: