Friday 19 December 2014

Looking in the wrong place?

After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, ‘Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.’ Matthew 2:1-2

It sounds a bit odd. They’d travelled all that way (at least 30 days at 25km/day), but when they ‘arrived’ they didn't know where to look. However, I wonder how many of us will turn up at a carol service, this weekend, in a similar state of unpreparedness?

I’ve been following Jesus for many years, but I still find myself places and only then asking ‘where is he’? One thing, which I’m sure Jesus would love to see change for us all, is having that awareness of travelling with him, rather than travelling towards him. Being with, as opposed to looking for.

If I commit to being with, next year I may not need to spend so much time looking?



No comments: