Tuesday 9 December 2014

He had it in mind

Joseph had in mind to divorce her quietly. When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife.  Matthew 1: 18, 24.

Looking back, I notice the discrepancies between what I thought I’d do and what I’ve actually done. I can beat myself up over good intentions not translated into action, but … just occasionally, I get it right.

Here, Joseph got it right. ‘He had it in mind’, but he didn’t do it. There are times when it’s good I’m not a man of my word, because ‘my word’ is not always the best word!

Joseph lived, like us, in the tension between doing what we know is right and doing what we think is our right.

Joseph acted his way into a new way of thinking.

Where would I be if God simply left me to my own devices?



No comments: