Thursday 4 December 2014

Advent 4. A time for re-shaping?

The angel said to him, ‘I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.’ Luke 1: 19-20.


All I said was ‘How can this be?’ The problem is, it isn’t always as simple as what I say, or don't say. Gabriel read Zechariah’s heart and God reads mine (and yours). I can sometimes get away with saying the right thing (seldom with Maggie, never with God).
Lord maybe you’re inviting me … into silence? Maybe advent is about opportunity ….  to change in my heart what would be better re-shaped before I next open my mouth?
Clearly, the Zechariah who emerged out of silence was a different Zechariah than the one who entered it. Lord, dare I believe it’s in the silent place you find the room to really enable me to appreciate your re-creative power? 



No comments: