Saturday 20 December 2014

Disturbed by Jesus?

When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. Matthew 2:3-4 



It’s easy to label Herod as ‘disturbed’, but what impact does Christmas have on us? Disturbing evidence is all around us, the morning after the ‘bad Friday’ before. Today, High Streets around Britain bear testimony to this years Christmas disturbance.

Being disturbed by Jesus can be hard to admit to: the ‘prince of peace’, ‘holy one of God’, ‘saviour of the world’.

Evenso, I’ve discovered admitting being disturbed by Jesus is never the place he wants me to stay. That’s not his desired destination for my route to Christmas. Sometimes, disturbance causes me to react, to look elsewhere to lay the blame. When I dare look in, however, I’m one step from finding what the bringer of disturbance really has to give.

No comments: